ABS-CBN, a 66-year-old entertainment and media combination, it provides jobs to nearly 7,000 people, it operates radio and television stations nationwide, and issues online content, and its presentations and programs reach millions of Filipinos in the Philippines and other countries.
ABS-CBN CBN Corp. went off-air on Tuesday night, hours after the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) issued a terminating and refraining order against the firm.
The firm has broadcasted many award-winning interpretive reports. Like on national terrorism, Duterte’s war on drugs, and many delicate topics. It serves a crucial role in keeping Filipinos informed.
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has repeatedly warned to block the renewal of ABS-CBN’s franchise, after the channel angered him during the 2016 presidential election by declining to air his campaign plugs.
In February, Duterte said he accepts ABS-CBN’s apology and said he wouldn’t interfere when Congress considers on the franchise, which expired on May 4.
In its order, the NTC noted that Republic Act (RA) 7966, which gave the company a 25-year franchise, which ended on Monday.
According to the Philippine Radio Control Law, “no person, firm, company, association, or corporation shall build, install, establish, or operate a radio transmitting or broadcasting station, or a radio receiving station used for commercial purposes, without having first received a franchise therefor from the Congress of the Philippines.”
“Upon the expiration of the act, ABS-CBN no longer has a valid and subsisting congressional franchise as required by Act No. 3846,” the regulator said in a statement.
Congressional leaders have asked the board to grant the broadcaster a substitute license to continue operations while its renewal request is pending, but the attorney-at-law general has said it cannot operate without an approved license.
NTC Deputy Commissioner Edgardo Cabarios said that the order for the channel stop operations took immediate effect, but added that ABS-CBN could appeal through the courts. The regulator also gave ABS-CBN 10 days to acknowledge and demonstrate why frequencies assigned to it should not be dismissed.
“The Supreme Court itself has said ephemeral right can be allowed to be declared when the application for restoration of the franchise is pending,” he said.
vice-chairman of the lower chamber’s committee Antonio Albano on legislative franchises, said Congress will order the corporation to explain its action.
“We are together in the midst of the battle,” Albano told DZMM, adding that only Congress can provide or deny franchise.
The franchise incorporates more than 20 radio stations and over 50 TV and digital TV stations, and can only be discontinued by a restraining order from the court, NTC Deputy Commissioner Edgardo Cabarios told DZMM radio.
The regulator said, the franchise is not granted with a license by the NTC because it doesn’t have a proper franchise from Congress.
Few minutes before the channel went off-air the President of ABS-CBN Carlo Katigbak said, “That they haven’t outraged any rules and regulations and they have completed all the terms for renewal. ”
The channel also said it had been given assurances that it could carry on broadcasting while the bills to extend its franchise still lay with the Congress.
Once the Lockdown is lifted from the Capital state as well as the nearby regions of the capital a hearing on the ABS-CBN’s case will be cataloged.
The court has also given the broadcasters the time of 10 days to explain why it’s regularities shouldn’t be recalled.